Music Business Scholarship
The Eric T. Schabacker Recording & Music Business Scholarship Award
Record Producer and Music Business veteran Eric T. Schabacker is offering young music enthusiasts, songwriters and up and coming recording engineers the opportunity to improve their knowledge of these industries by studying with him at Winterwood Recording Studios. The recipient of the annual Scholarship Award spends one week with Eric at his his Ozark Mountain facility learning about the business and promotional aspects of performing, the ins and outs of music copyrights, the world of music publishing, songwriting tips and the latest recording procedures.
Schabacker's past accomplishments in the music industry include the formation of one of Florida's most successful booking agencies and recording studio complexes. He earned his Music Business Certification from the Berklee College of Music after finishing undergraduate and graduate studies at Rollins College. Eric was the founder and past president of The Southern Recording Association, has conducted numerous Music Business Seminars and has had his hand in more than 100 gold and platinum albums worldwide.
He currently resides in the Ozark Mountains of Northwest Arkansas where he presides over Winterwood Recording Studios, Sonic Rescue, Advantage Music Business Consultants and Nashville Song Evaluation. Additional information about Eric may be found below. Application information may be found on the right side of this page, "How to Apply."
More about Eric
- 1960 – Present: Recording Studio owner, Recording Engineer, Record Producer. His work includes involvement in more than 100 Gold and Multi-Platinum album projects worldwide as well as a Grammy award winning album.
- 1960 – 1962: Produced and recorded three albums for distribution and sale during last two years of high school.
- 1962 – 1965: Founder and President of Tener Enterprises, Inc., a New York Corporation which was the home of three Independent Record Labels: Tener, Hype and Immunity Records.
- 1962 – 1966: Songwriter in Florida. Wrote for The Starfires, Little Willie And The Adolescents & Custard’s Last Band.
- 1962 – 1968: Student at Rollins College in Orlando, Florida culminating in BS and MED degrees with a specialization in Supervision and Administration.
- 1963 – Present: BMI affiliated writer.
Founder and owner of Schabraf Music Publishing, a BMI affiliate.
- 1962 – 1965: Founded "The Starfires" which played throughout Florida and at the New York World's Fair. Self produced the album, "The Starfires Play."
- 1965 – 1967: Formed and performed with the band, “Little Willie and the Adolescents” which regularly toured Florida and the southeast. Self recorded, published, released, distributed and sold two charted record release of aforesaid bands.
- 1964 – 1976: Founder and President of Bee Jay Booking Agency, Inc. Bee Jay become the largest and best known Booking Agency within the State of Florida before being sold and is still in business today under a new name and management.
- 1965: Founder and President of Bee Jay Recording Studios. The corporate name was legally changed to Bee Jay Booking Agency and Recording Studios, Inc.
- 1966 – 1968: Founded a Concert Promotion business that promoted hit bands such as Jimmy Page and the Yardbirds.
- 1971: Completed University of Miami’s Music Copyright Program.
- 1972 – 1974: Co-founder of The Southern Progressive Radio Network specializing in hour long, live broadcasts throughout Florida of charted progressive acts. Broadcasts including Emmylou Harris, Atlanta Rhythm Section and Randy Newman emanated from the Bee Jay Recording Studios.
- 1975: Accepted the Lord Jesus as his Savior.
- 1975 – 1976: Founder and host of “Artists Alive” radio show broadcast on 125 radio stations across the United States.
- 1976 – 1977: Southeast Regional Director of the Fellowship of Contemporary
Christian Ministries. Members included the likes of Petra, Phil Keaggy and Glad.
- 1977 – 1984: Founder and President of The Southern Recording Association, Inc. The association promoted recording in the southern United States and hosted numerous Music Business Seminars throughout the region.
- 1977 – Present: Accepted numerous Gold and Platinum Album Awards, a Grammy and numerous other awards for contributions to a multitude of projects. See the Partial Discography for details.
- 1978: Accepted first Gold / Platinum Album Award for “Baldry’s Out” in Canada.
- 1978: Recipient of Country Beat Magazine’s Studio of the Year Award.
- 1978 – 1980: Host of “The Alternative” radio show on WDIZ in Orlando with coast to coast FM coverage. WDIZ was the #1 rated Orlando Radio Station at the time. The Alternative was the #1 show in Central Florida during its time slot according to Arbitron.
- 1979 – 1980: Charter Founding Member of S.P.A.R.S – The Society of Professional Recording Studios.
- 1980 – 1981: Helped establish Full Sail Recording Workshop, its curriculum and teaching staff. Classes were originally taught at Bee Jay Recording Studios by the Bee Jay Staff. Full Sail's present name is Full Sail University.
- 1981 – 1983: Wrote all songs & produced Xavier album project featuring Gregg X. Volz from the group “Petra.”
- 1984 – 1993: Founder and President of “My Sediments Exactly, Inc.”
Sold Bee Jay Recording Studios. Maintained Schabraf Publishing, BMI.
- 1987 – 1992: Successfully passed all requirements for Novice, Technician, General, Advanced and Extra Class FCC Radio Licenses.
- 1988: Passed nine of a ten part Florida Sommelier Exam.
- 1996: Sold tangible assets and future holdings of My Sediments Exactly, Inc at New York’s Sotheby’s Auction.
- 1998 – Present: Founded Winterwood Recording Studios.
- 1999: Recipient of two Unisong Certificates of Achievement.
Recipient of John Lennon Songwriting Contest Runner Up Award.
- 1999 – Present: Songwriter specializing in Pop Rock and Modern Country.
Recipient of twenty-five Billboard Song Contest Honorable Mention Awards.
- 2001 – Present: Recipient of eight John Lennon Songwriting Contest Honorable Mention Awards.
Recipient of three U.S.A Songwriting Competition Finalist Awards.
- 2002: Organizer, emcee and guest speaker at the Northwest Arkansas Music Business Seminar.
- 2005 – Present: Founder of Nashville Song Evaluation, LLC.
- 2006 – 2007: Recipient of Certificate of Specialization In Music Business from Berklee College of Music in Boston, Massachusetts. (One year Music Business Study Program)
- 2007: Organizer and Instructor at the Greater Arkansas Music Business Seminar.
- 2007 – Present: Founder and owner of Advantage Music Business Consultants, LLC.
- 2008: Wrote three songs appearing on an album by One Night Stand (Colt Records)
- 2008: Recorded Jimmy Thackery's "Inside Tracks" which entered the Billboard national charts in the #10 position.
- 2009 - Present: Introduction of the Eric T. Schabacker Recording & Music Business Scholarship Award
- 2011 - Present: Regular panelist at NAMA.
- 2013 - Present: Member of Association for Recorded Sound Collections.